On board computers and signal processors
Recent developments based on radiation hardened space processors (ERC 32, ARM, Leon, etc) have given Crisa a significant expertise in hardware and real time software, on board computers and data handling technology. These are the main areas of expertise:
- Computing: Platform control computers (OBC), Instrument Controllers (ICUs), Attitude Control Computers, TM/TC Communications Processors
- Data/Signal Processing Units (DPUs & SPUs)
- Remote Terminal Unit (RTUs)
- Control and Actuation electronics
- Real Time embedded software applications for instrument data handling, health monitoring, data processing, compression and distribution, etc.
- Microelectronics products: ASIC, SoC, FPGAs and technology for TC/TM management, data cyphering, mechanisms control, I/O management, etc.
Crisa has supplied multiple spacecraft computers and controllers for different missions:
Gaia will create a 1.000 million star map of the Milky Way
The future Gaia satellite will be the biggest digital camera in the solar system, reaching a resolution of almost one gigapixel thanks to its 106 CCDs (Charged Couple Devices). Each CCD will be controlled by one of the proximity electronic modules currently under development by Crisa
- Instrument Control Unit for the Near Infrared Spectrograph (NIRSpec) of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)
- Gaia proximity electronics module
- Herschel/Planck high performance DSP processors: PACS Signal Processing Unit, and LFI Radiometer Electronics Box Assembly
- Communications Processor Formatter and De-formatter for the Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV
- Ingenio On-Board Computer (OBC)
- Paz Antenna Control Electronics Remote Terminal Unit (ACE/RTU)
- Remote Interface Unit (RIU) for Astrosat platform (Ingenio, Spot 6&7, Kazakhstan, Sentinel-5P, etc.)
- Sentinel-3 Cooler Drive Electronics (CDE) and MWR Radiometer Processing Module (RPM).